Sunday, 4 January 2015

twenty nine different attributes and only seven that you like






















Hellooooo. I hope you all had wonderful Christmases and New years, I had a lovely Christmas. I watched loads of tv and got some really cool presents including Catfish and the Bottlemen's album, as well as Taylor Swift's album (it is no secret I love Taylor Swift), I also got a record player which I was so incredibly pleased with, it's bright orange and portable and so much cooler than I had anticipated. My other presents were mainly small things, I got some really cool books, jewellery, things from Lush, the usual stocking fillers. The day after boxing day we went out for a meal at Yo Sushi and went bowling afterwards and since then I hadn't really left the house. My mum and brother went to Holland for new years so my dad and I just took this time to watch every single film in existence. I can't remember half the films I watched, I watched that many. 
Ever since I went to London for new years 2012, I've hated celebrating it. I just loathe it and I really do think it stems from being stuck in London at 2am, surrounded by drunks and dragging yourself miles across the city accompanied by so many intoxicated humans to attempt to find a tube station that is actually open. Your feet are being battered with blisters and you're wondering how on earth you're ever going to get home. You didn't even get a good glimpse of the fireworks as you were forced to sit on the cold floor and you are up to your ankles in rubbish mainly consisting of beer cans and every form of food packaging you can fathom. I don't recommend the experience. This year I watched the Queen concert with my dad providing a riveting running commentary and also watched Jools Holland because what's not to love about Paloma Faith and Paolo Nutini both in one show.

Anyway, apart from being lazy and staying cooped up indoors, my dad and I drove down to London to visit Kew gardens, as it's one of those places that's always seemed to go unnoticed on the metaphorical bucket list. It was such a trek, more than an hour on the tube just to get there, but it was completely worth it. As soon as you enter the large glasshouse you're hit with this wall of heat, you glance up and there are plants that are dangerously close to the glass panel roofing. Victorian ironwork surrounds you and a beautiful spiral staircase leads you to a balcony that lines the whole glasshouse and overlooks everything. For some odd reason there's something really magical about it, just being surrounded by greenery everywhere you look. Although the second greenhouse wasn't as aesthetically pleasing architecturally, it was filled to the brim with every form of cactus you can imagine. It is also no secret that I love cacti and have accumulated a collection that's taking up an ever growing amount of space in my conservatory, so it was exciting to see that there were so many more types than I first thought, and that our collection is nowhere near finished yet. 

After Kew Gardens I was dragged by my dad to a pop up exhibition they were holding at the British Film Institute on the South Bank where they were showing never before seen Polaroids and unused scripts from the first Star Wars movie, due to this distraction, by the time we reached Brick Lane at the end of the afternoon the light had all but faded as we made our way down to Beyond Retro as I'd intended on getting some serious inspiration for prom. On the way back we had a quick mooch around the vintage basement and managed to scrounge a barely used a-ha album for £5. 

In other news I have become fully obsessed with Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I believe it is the ultimate 90s show, complete with awesome characters and some sometimes questionable but mostly just really cool outfits. Willow (played by Alyson Hannigan) has been known to sport a faded scooby-doo tee and Buffy (Sarah Michelle Gellar) rocks the all leather look when she goes out slaying. I'm not sure why I'm such a fan, it's just a really great show with a really great theme tune and it's written by Joss Whedon who is undoubtedly the king of screenwriting. It's on netflix and I can't recommend it enough.

In music news, I've become obsessed with the Strokes. I was always one of those half-fans, you like a couple of songs but don't really have any knowledge of them. I never realised that they are such a great band, and they're one of those bands where you like most of their songs and are quite 'easy listening'. They also have some cool videos, and their front man, Julian Casablancas, is hard to beat.

Have a great last night before back to school or college or whatever you're returning to. I've still got the day off tomorrow and am planning some serious internet shopping alongside watching Palo Alto. 

Love, Imo


currently: listening: you only live once// the strokes, style//taylor swift, a button on your blouse//drowners, reading: the sherlock chronicles// steve tribe, wishing: holographic nail polish, metallic topshop socks, asos vintage printed swing dress.

3 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to visit Kew Gardens and love your photos of the plants and wrought iron. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures and nice to hear you had a good Christmas/ New Years!
    I've been thinking about watching Buffy so it's next on my list after I finish Frasier (another 90s show I recommend if you haven't already seen it).

    Amalia x
    hapagirl.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. kew gardeeeeeeeeens, my absolute favourite place! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, all comments make my day! Please don't ask me to follow for follow your blog, leave your link and I'll check it out instead!