Sunday, 19 October 2014

east london's not a bombsite, it's a treasure chest














I felt these Wombats lyrics from the song Techno Fan were extremely appropriate for this post. We drove up to London again today to pop into in the British Library and wander down to Columbia Road's flower market, as I'd never been before and was hoping for some flowers I could later press, or some cacti to add to the dangerously ever growing collection.

We arrived in London at around 11, beginning at the British Library and accidentally stumbling upon the nearby North Gower Street where they film Sherlock. I immediately positioned myself before the door, along with a few other Sherlockians. We all shared a knowing smile as we took our turn to pose, much to the amusement of the flat's occupient, who came out halfway through with an expression that read ' oh not these geeks again'.

 After mooching round the Bloomsbury area of London for a few hours we took a bus down to Shoreditch high street. The vibe in Shoreditch and East London in general is so warm and lively, everywhere something  is taking place and shops boast bright window displays and hanging signs. The atmosphere is so welcoming compared to some of the cold spots around central London. The area that surrounds Euston is probably not one of my favourites, it feels like everyone that is there is trying to get somewhere else and although it's true for most of London- no one acknowledges each other.

We had lunch in a small local cafe that marks the start of Columbia Road Market that went by the name of Maison Dellys. It had beautiful original oak floorboards that gave a satisfying creak as you paced around on them, and the walls were panelled wood with a peeling white paint. The staff here were so lovely and the prices were incredibly reasonable, as lunch for all three of us was £11. I might also add that I can honestly say it was the best tea I've ever had in a cafe, (you know how tea in cafes is never the same as the tea you make at home). After refuelling we headed down to the flower market and were met with a throng of people. The street itself is fairly small, with the two sides lined with cutesy independent shops in an array of colours with quirky names, but the street inbetween is crammed full with stall upon stall of flowers, in bunches and pots mixed with whole branches and individual cacti, flowering in every colour fathomable. There are so many people that at some points you feel as if you are going to fall straight into a flower bed, people pushing you frustratingly from every angle. However, the prices and friendly atmosphere make the hoard worth it.

On the walk back to the tube station we walked through Tower Hamlets suburbia. Cottages with overgrown gardens are nestled inbetween blocks of flats in a juxtapostion of classic Victoria London and modern cheap housing. I hope to study in London when I go to University and areas like Shoreditch, which are just out of the city but not too far out are where I dream to live.

Hope you've all had a good weekend, I spent my Sunday night eating apple and pecan pie and catching up on various blogs. Half term is calling and I'm hoping to go away to Brighton for a few days, I will try and blog before then, but if not, have a good week or two!

Imogen

currently: listening: mind mischief//tame impala, mesmerise//temples, keep in the dark//temples, 1996//the wombats, reading: the 100 year old man who climbed out the window and disappeared//jonas jonasson, wishing: oversized boyfriend coat//new look


7 comments:

  1. I also had my photo taken at Speedy's last time I was in London. :) Cute pics of the most beautiful city!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhhh i'm still yet to wander round bloomsbury around there but looks lovely! love your skirt too xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post, I love your blog and I have followed you with Bloglovin. If you ever get a chance to check out my blog I would be delighted, thanks!

    Camille xo

    www.cococami.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely pictures! I've never visited this area of london before x

    http://rachelcoco.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. This title is sooo appropriate to this blog post! :) Loved reading this and seeing these photos. I'm going to London in January so I'm hoping to visit this, as it looks amazing! Love your skirt! x Laura

    styleandsushi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the photographs! xx
    fashionismyfirstlanguage.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss you coming on to blog, please come back awww. I always adore your "currently listening to" playlists at the bottom of your posts, I actually always check them out. *don't mind me*

    www.thejuiceboxqueen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, all comments make my day! Please don't ask me to follow for follow your blog, leave your link and I'll check it out instead!